Indiatimes.com



the Times Of India

Cities
Monday 6 March 2000

TIMES DIGITAL CITY | JUKEBOX | CHAT | MESSAGE BOARDS | FREE EMAIL | ARCHIVE | CONTACT US


 Home
 India
 Cities
 World
 Sports
 Entertainment
 Indian Business
 Intl Business
 Stocks
 Infotech
 Health/Sci
 Editorial

 Top StoriesTop stories
across papers


 PhotoGalleryPhoto gallery
 WeatherWeather
 IndiatimesIndiatimes  Cartoon

Interview
Letters

Crossword
 Java
 Image

Times Cricket Ratings

Today's Chat

ET Quick Qoute

Type the name of the company to get the latest BSE/NSE stock quote


Ahmedabad
Email this page
5,000 check dams to be ready in one year

BHAVNAGAR: Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel said the overwhelming response by the Saurashtra region's villagers to the Sardar Patel Co-operative Water Conservation Project would enable the state government to complete more than 5,000 check dams in a record time of one year, while speaking at a foundation stone-laying ceremony for a network of 450 check dams covering 24 villages in Botad taluka.

Patel further said that the state government had so far received about 5,400 applications for the project and all of them would be completed by the end of this summer in order to ensure that the current year would be the last one in which people faced a hardship of drinking water.

"What has not been done in the last 50 years will be done in a year and through this success Gujarat would show the entire country a new type of rural development, one which includes the wholehearted support of the masses," he said.

The state government bears 60 per cent of the expense for the construction of check dams, while the remaining 40 per cent is contributed by village beneficiaries.

The chief minister announced that the high-tech Krishi Vision would be launched very soon by the state government to help those farmers who did not get a good return from agriculture as a result of the dry farming in the Saurashtra region.

Dhandhuka MP Ratilal Verma, youth and cultural activities minister Mahendra Trivedi, Botad legislator Saurabh Patel also spoke on the occasion.

Other legislators from the Bhavnagar district, the mayor, BJP workers, senior government and GWSSB officials were present at the occasion.



The Economic Times


AHMEDABAD HEADLINES

Venkaih Naidu lashes out at Congress on RSS issue

Non-issues disrupting Parliament: Rana

BJP youth wing's Seema Suraksha Yatra kicks off

Kargil Cycle Rally for the jawans

Tele-booking facility at city railway station soon

5,000 check dams to be ready in one year

'Gujarat card' for NRGs this month

Governor wants Conversions Bill verified

Crackdown on bootleggers pays off; liquor worth Rs 9 lakh seized

'Anti-adulteration drive has paid off'

R&B officials accused of abetting encroachment

Saurashtra on the verge of defeat in Ranji Trophy

Police impound tankers carrying adulterated oil

Film show on education

Expert for debate on tax proposals

Thakur assures speedy execution of SSP

CM inaugurates VHP Hospital

TopTOP


 
 

|Home| |India| |Cities| |World| |Sports| |Entertainment| |Indian Business| |Intl Business| |Stocks| |Infotech| |Health/Sci| |Editorial|

|Subscriptions| |About the Publisher| |International Times| |TOI Audience|
For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
|Disclaimer|


For comments and feedback send Email
© Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 2000.