INTERNATIONAL ACTIVISTS TO FAST IN FRONT OF WORLD BANK HEADQUARTERS DURING ANNUAL MEETING TO DEMAND END TO FORCED DISPLACEMENT
THEY WILL KICK-OFF THE FAST WITH A PRESS CONFERENCE.
cocktails Friday (23rd), Saturday (24th), Sunday (25th) at 6
p.m. Come by for a glass of water with a squeeze of lime.
2. Friday, April 23rd at 7 p.m. 2004 Goldman Environmental Prize winners
Rashida Bee and Champa Devi Shukla who have been fighting for justice for
victims of the Bhopal disaster will join us. They fasted in 2002 for 19
days in their quest for justice. There will be a candlelight vigil at
3. The Mobilization for Global Justice permitted march on Saturday April
24th (www.globalizethis.org for more info) will stop to visit the fasters.
Alok Agrawal of the Narmada Bachao Andolan, the first grassroots movement
to force the World Bank to rescind a loan, will speak.
WHEN: Friday, April 23rd at The fast will end the morning of
Monday, April 26th.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1. Endorse the demands - you can view them at
Send endorsements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name,
organization (if applicable) and country.
2. Click on http://www.aidindia.org/wbfast to send a fax to your
country's Executive Director at the World Bank to show your support of the
3. Participate in a solidarity fast. Join us (in spirit or preson) for
one or more of the 3 days. Sign up at www.aidindia.org/wbfast .
Smitu Kothari, Indian human rights activist. Director of
Dickson Mundia, human rights lawyer from
Angana Chatterji, scholar-activist working with
indigenous rights and
professor of anthropology at the California Institute of Integral Studies.
Pena, past recipient of Goldman Environmental Prize. He has helped
local affected people file claims to the World Bank inspection panel to
challenge the Yacyreta Dam in
· Dana Clark, human rights and environmental lawyer, co-author and co-editor of a recent book about the World Bank Inspection Panel.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT
Dana Clark 410-905-3303 email@example.com
Angana Chatterji 415-640-4013 firstname.lastname@example.org
Antonia Juhasz 415-846-5447 email@example.com