Gujarat Earthquake: News
On January 26th, 2001, Gujarat was hit by a massive earthquake that has taken a heavy toll of human life besides creating massive destruction. On this page, we present links to news on this issue and also information about the NBA's involvement with relief efforts.
Statement issued by the NBA on January 28th, 2001:
Gujarat has experienced the worst earthquake in the last fifty years. Large areas in Gujarat especially in Kutch, Ahmedabad and parts of Saurashtra are suffering from enormous destruction and immense human tragedy. The Narmada Bachao Andolan epresses shock and grief at this devastation, and extends its heartfelt sympathies to the affected families. The Narmada Bachao Andolan appeals to all its friends and supporters to come forth and give all the assistance and support that they can. NBA too is mobilising support.
Nandini Oza, Shripad Dharmadhikary, Baroda; on behalf of the NBA
- Urgent appeal for relief and support in earthquake hit areas; January 28, 2001
Narmada Valley expresses solidarity with Gujarat people;
Will participate in quake relief; Further investigations needed; NBA Press Release, January 28, 2001
- An appeal by Baba Amte; Feb 4, 2001
- Statement on Principles and Provisions of Rehabilitation in the earthquake-affected areas; Feb 12, 2001
- Report of the Relief Camp for the earthquake affected at Balasar, Taluka Rapar, District Kutch; Feb 19, 2001
- Narmada Bachao Andolan - Future Plans (March 2001)
Links to earthquake relief efforts
Association of India's Development: Gujarat Earthquake Relief
- India Together's extensive listing of earthquake relief efforts in US, India, and other places